Thursday, July 5, 2007

The Fourth of July

I have to say that spending the fourth at my parents house is the best. Family, friends, food, fireworks. The four F's of the Fourth. That's kind of funny. Anyway, since the Indian reservation is pretty close to where we live, we usually all stop there to get some good fireworks. Not the stupid ones that they sell on the side of the road or in the grocery store parking lots, but real ones that you can't get legally off the reservation unless you are a professional. So I dropped $100 and got artillery shells, the kind that are launched out of a tube, shoot straight up into the sky, explode into a bunch of different colors and shapes. I got a few different kinds, cause anyone knows that you don't put all your eggs into one basket. What happens if you buy one kind but don't like the effects? You can't take them back... Better to buy a few different kinds and see what happens. All in all I had 64 shots I think, or about $1.56 per shot. Not bad when you consider that they originally want like $3-$4 per shot. We had some good times trying to get the best deals too. Usually you go around to all the different stands and say, "So and so down the isle has the same thing but for $5 less. What are you going to do about it?" But this year the Indians weren't having any of that. A few of them even got pretty mad when we tried to haggle them down. One finally told us that if we found such a great deal somewhere else, that we should go back to that guy and get our stuff from him, cause she wasn't going to go that low "so get out of here and stop wasting my time!" We were kind of shocked. Anyway, we ended up buying most of out fireworks from white guys, or maybe they were Indians like I'm an Indian, four generations back on my mothers side, and five on my dads... But the were the ones giving the best deals, so we bought from them.
Ammon was not a huge fan of all the noise, my mother-in-law brought him out and was watching the show for a few minutes, but decided to take the baby back inside, cause he got fussy. I think he likes the lights, but not the explosions. And I made a lot of explosions, up to the point of lighting off 7 shells at once. That makes for a lot of BOOM and a big light show. Anyway, my fireworks lasted for about two and a half hours, more than enough time to put on a good show for everyone else. I was pretty happy with it. We all had a pretty good time, and came home VERY tired. I only wish I had taken some pictures and video of the show I put on. But I was too involved with everything else to remember to do that. Oh well, there's always next year...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blog!