Sunday, December 30, 2007

Christmas Traditions

Rachel and I have been married for about 6 years, and every Christmas we have spent Christmas Eve at the house of one set of parents and spent the night and Christmas morning with the other set of parents. Not an ideal situation if you ask me. Why? Because neither house is warm enough for Rachel and neither of us sleeps well on air beds or fold-out couches. While I do enjoy spending time with my family on Christmas, I like getting a good night's sleep even more. And where better to get a good night's sleep than at your own house in your own bed. Especially since my bed is a Tempur-Pedic bed. So this year, Rachel and I decided that we would have Christmas dinner with our parents, go home and sleep in our own bed and then go back to the parents house later in the afternoon on Christmas day. I liked spending Christmas morning at home with just the three of us. It was nice and quiet and I didn't feel like I got lost in the hubub of the holiday rush at my parents house. Not that I don't like to spend the holiday with my family, but sometimes you just need a break. We had our own real tree, and decorated our house and opened presents and everything at our own house. It was also nice to be able to focus on Ammon's first Christmas, and not have to compete for anyone else's attention. It just made for a more pleasant morning (since Ammon isn't big enough to know that he needs to wake up as early as he can to see what Santa has left under the tree for him!), and then at our own pace we went and spent time with the family. No rush, no pressure. So I think that's what we are going to do every year from now on. And starting next year, we are going to cut down our own Christmas tree as well. And get the house decorated earlier. And make sure the majority of the shopping is done before my peak season at work starts (like two weeks before). And have the house clean. And set up proper video equipment. And...
Whatever.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blog!