Wednesday, April 6, 2016

I Had an Idea

So today during my lunch half work/half break, I had this idea. I always wanted to start a website, and I have a cool idea for a business. I am pretty cheap, and there seem to be lots of different "build a Website" websites out there. In fact, as a side note, Rachel did just that about a year ago as a project for school. She used one of those website building/hosting websites to build an online clothing consignment store. We ran it for about 3 months and never made a sale. It wasn't very successful. I blame society. But she did come out with an A grade in that class, so spending $400 was a pretty good investment, in my estimation. Your mileage may vary. Anyway, she worked pretty hard on it, spent a lot of time getting it set up so that people could come and help us clean out her and her mother's closet. It looked pretty good. But I don't think I want something that fancy.
So I decided to start reading up on using html. There are so many online guides for learning to write in html, and one can easily be overwhelmed with the speed at which it gets complicated. I look at the websites online and I see that many successful sites don't necessarily have "complicated-looking" webpages, lots of them are just headers and footers with banners and lists and pictures of the things they are selling. And I think I wan to learn how to do some of that. So I go online and start browsing through tutorials. I came across one on one o my favorite sites "Instructables" and it is about creating a simple webpage in 18 easy steps. I start to read through it and think, "I can do that," and so I download notepad++ and start typing. Following the instructions I build a webpage with a title, a couple of paragraphs, a list and a few pictures. Now, you may be thinking "I want to see this amazing self built webpage! Where can I go to see it?!?!" Well... it isn't published to the web. It is saved as an html document on my computer. But it is real, and it loads properly and I made it. I am feeling pretty good about it. And in about 10 years, I may have it working just the way I want it and will publish it to the World Wide Web. But until then, I will probably just use one of those "build a website" websites to host my ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blog!